Oncology in Kingsport, TN
What is Oncology?
Oncology is the study of and treatment of tumors. Most people meet doctors who specialize in tumor diagnosis and management (oncologists) when they are being treated for cancer. Oncologists may help patients with non-cancerous tumors (benign), but the majority of the oncology field is focused on cancer treatment.
Oncologists are considered specialists in the medical field. Most patients will be sent to an oncologist once cancer has been diagnosed, or if another doctor believes cancer is likely.
There are several types of oncologists.
- Medical oncologists treat cancers with drugs like chemotherapy or targeted therapy. Medical oncologists don't usually operate on patients.
- Surgical oncologists specialize in removing tumors and surrounding tissue during an operation. Surgical oncologists may also take biopsies to diagnose cancer.
- Radiation oncologists treat cancers with radiation therapy. Radiation uses high energy X-rays to kill cancer cells inside the body.
If you or a loved one is being treated for cancer, you may see any combination of these physicians and they will usually work together to give you the best possible care.
Types of Oncologists
You may also meet other cancer specialists who focus on cancers of the blood or other areas of the body.
- Gynecologic oncologists treat cancers of a woman's reproductive system. These doctors have completed their initial training as gynecologists and completed advanced training for cancer diagnosis and treatment.
- Pediatric oncologists treat infants, children and adolescents with cancer. Because children don't get many of the types of cancer that affect adults, pediatric oncologists may see fewer cancers of the organs or tissues and more blood cancers like leukemia, lymphoma and others.
- Hematologists diagnose and treat cancers of the blood and its cells.
Request Oncology Information
Regardless of the specific method, oncology is essential for patients suffering from cancer. Oncologists seek to eradicate the cancer cells found within the body. To request more information call Call (423) 482-8711 or contact AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center online.
AWAREmed Health and Wellness Resource Center
Address1604 Lamons Lane
Johnson City, TN 37604
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Tue: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Wed: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Thu: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fri: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm